We’ve all been told to brush our teeth since we were very young. It’s such a simple routine that anyone can do it properly with little or no instruction, right? Well, maybe not. There’s a right way to do it, and some habits that may be causing harm.
Our dentist at Lutz Dental advises all of our patients of the importance of brushing as part of a good oral hygiene regimen, and provides some guidance on how to get the most from your toothbrush.
- Use a soft-bristled brush twice a day, choosing a size that allows you to reach all corners of your mouth.
- Always use a toothpaste that contains fluoride and has been accepted by the American Dental Association.
- You should replace your toothbrush every three to four months, depending on how worn the bristles are.
- Proper brushing technique involves placing the toothbrush at a 45-degree angle to your gums and gently brushing back and forth in short strokes.
- Be sure to brush all parts of the teeth: Inner, outer and chewing surfaces.
- Tilt the toothbrush into a vertical position and make up and down strokes to clean the inside surfaces of your front teeth.
- Your oral hygiene regimen should also include cleaning between your teeth to reach places your toothbrush can’t reach. This helps stave off the buildup of plaque and particles of food that hide between the teeth and under the gum line.
- Limit the amount of sugary foods and drinks in your diet to cut down on your exposure to cavities and other oral conditions.
Of course, coming in for regular checkups at Lutz Dental is a crucial part of protecting yourself against oral disease. You do your part with your toothbrush, and we’ll do our part to keep you smiling for years to come. Please contact our office today for an appointment.
By Lutz Dental
January 1, 2022
19105 US-41 #100
Lutz, FL 33549
Wesley Chapel, FL 33543