Few foods are better for our health than fruit. Packed with vitamins, minerals, antioxidants and fiber, fruit is nature’s superfood. But as our dentist at Lutz Dental, not all fruits are created equal when it comes to our teeth. Some varieties contain higher amounts of sugar and acids, while others may cause staining.
Here are a few hand-picked suggestions about which fruits are the best and worst for those precious pearly whites.
- Apples are not only packed with nutrients and fiber, they do a solid job of freshening your breath and scrubbing your teeth clean.
- Grapes, pears and plums have high water content. Water stimulates saliva, which helps cleanse the teeth and mouth of sugar and bacteria.
- Citrus fruits including grapefruit, oranges, lemons and limes produce acids that coat the teeth and wear away the protective outer enamel. Enamel is a precious commodity because it does not grow back.
- Kiwis are tart but have high amounts of calcium, which is good for strengthening teeth and neutralizing acids.
- Pineapples are high in sugar and acid, both of which can be harmful to your oral health.
- Blueberries, blackberries and pomegranates are packed with antioxidants, which may reduce the risk of some diseases. However, they can also cause staining of the teeth.
- Dried fruits such as dates, prunes, figs, and raisins stick to the teeth can leave a sugary coating in hard-to-clean crevasses.
Our dentist reminds patients that most fruits are beneficial to your health in ways beyond your teeth. As long as you're enjoying them in reasonable quantities and brushing or rinsing afterward, the benefits are likely to outweigh the drawbacks.
There’s no better way to safeguard your oral health than regular examinations and cleanings with our dentist at Lutz Dental. While dental visits are recommended at least once a year for most of us, others may need to come in more often, depending on their oral health. Please contact our office today to schedule a visit.
By Lutz Dental
April 25, 2023
19105 US-41 #100
Lutz, FL 33549
Wesley Chapel, FL 33543